Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu February 28, 2013
Stumbo: Judd Would Be Formidable Candidate
FRANKFORT, Ky.-- Kentucky House Speaker Greg Stumbo says Ashley Judd would be a formidable candidate if she runs for the U.S. Senate next year.
Stumbo told reporters Thursday in Frankfort that the actress and activist is bright and articulate and would appeal to voters because she's a "fresh face."
Judd, a Kentucky native who resides in Tennessee, has said she's considering a run for the Kentucky Senate seat held by Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell. McConnell has already opened a campaign office and has a bulging campaign fund as he prepares to seek a new six-year term in 2014.
Stumbo, a Prestonsburg Democrat, says it is a winnable race for Democrats. But he says Judd would have a tough time carrying eastern Kentucky unless she changes her position on mountaintop removal mining. She is an outspoken opponent of the coal-removal method.