Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
WUKY In Depth
Fri May 2, 2014
STORYCORPS: Lexington's Historic No Smoking Ordinance
We end our series with Ellen Hahn and Carole Riker who were instrumental in the passage of Lexington's No Smoking Ordinance now more than 10 years ago.
It’s time for our final story corps segment marking the tenth anniversary of Lexington’s no-smoking ordinance…the first to be passed in any Kentucky city.
We end our series pretty much where it all began…by hearing again from two members of the original coalition responsible for lobbying Urban County Council members to support a measure that would result in a political, social, and cultural sea change in the tobacco-rich Commonwealth.
Dr. Ellen Hahn was a key leader of Smoke Free Lexington…she’s joined in the booth by her colleague Carole Riker. The two recall the nervousness they felt the night the final vote was cast.
Special thanks to the Kentucky Center for Smoke Free Policy at kcsp.uky.edu for sharing the audio from its grant-funded oral history project.
Information on smoke free policies is available here.
A programming note: Josh James will provide an update on his award-winning series, Clearing The Air, which documented the debate over smoke free ordinances. That’s coming soon here on WUKY.