Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri July 9, 2010
State Workers Getting Days Off Whether They Want Them Or Not
By Stephanie Crosby
Louisville, KY – The budget approved by the General Assembly requires 131-million dollars in expenditure reductions this fiscal year and 169-million dollars the year after that. Some of that savings will come in furlough days. Personnel Cabinet Secretary Nikki Jackson says three of those days will be common days' - over Labor Day, Veterans Day, and Memorial Day weekends - and the remaining three will be at the discretion of the cabinet heads.
"This is all still very new. We've not had to cross this road before in state government, so some of this we'll have to build the ship as we sail it, if you will."
Jackson says the three remaining days must be taken in October, March and June, and must be approved by the Personnel Cabinet. Agencies that operate around the clock - like mental health and correctional facilities - must submit plans to take furlough days that won't disrupt service.