Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu November 21, 2013
State Jobless Rate Rises Slightly To 8.4%
Kentucky's unemployment rate has inched upward again, rising to 8.4 percent in October.
The Kentucky Office of Employment and Training blamed the increase in part on the partial federal government shutdown as well as baby boomer retirements.
The civilian labor force shrank by 9,869 between September and October.
State economist Manoj Shanker said the state's labor market has struggled since late spring, and has hovered around the 8.4 mark for the past five months.
The trade, transportation and utilities sector lost 5,200 jobs in October. Employment in the leisure and hospitality sector dropped by 3,800. And 2,100 manufacturing jobs were lost. The government sector shed another 1,700 jobs.
The financial services sector was down 1,000 jobs for the month, and the education and health services sector lost 300 jobs.