Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri November 22, 2013
Southern Lights Celebrates Two Decades Of Dazzling Displays
A celebrated Lexington tradition returns to the Kentucky Horse Park starting Friday.
More than 27,000 vehicles are expected to wind their way past the colorful light displays at the horse park this year. The drive begins at the park’s campground and makes its way though displays depicting the 12 Days of Christmas, a Christmas Village, and, as Keeneland Horse Park Foundation executive director Laura Klumb notes, lots of other unrelated themes.
"Our driving display has everything from holiday themes to Disney princesses and Star Wars, and this year we've added some of our favorite characters from The Wizard of Oz," she says.
The Southern Lights will be open from 5:30 until 10 pm every evening. Visitors will be able to leave their cars at the end and visit inside attractions including holiday craft vendors, Santa Claus, and a petting zoo.
The Southeast Tourism Society and the Kentucky Travel Industry Association both list the Southern Lights as a Top 20 event in the region.
The displays will run through December 31st.