Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue August 20, 2013
Smith, Chapman Top List Of UK Athletic HOF Inductees
LEXINGTON, Ky. — The University of Kentucky Athletics Hall of Fame has announced the six people who will make up the 2013 class of inductees, including men's basketball's Rex Chapman and Tubby Smith.
They will be joined by 1980s football player Oliver Barnett, 1980s women's basketball standout Leslie Nichols, All-American track star and former coach Press Whelan (WHAY'-lan) and five-time all-American tennis player Jesse Witten, who was at UK from 2002 to 2005.
Smith coached the Wildcats from 1998 to 2007, leading the team to its seventh national championship, and was three time National Coach of the Year.
Chapman played from 1987 to 1988, making 1,073 career points and was a two-time All-SEC first-team selection. He was selected eighth overall in the 1988 NBA Draft by the Charlotte Hornets.
Inductions will be during the weekend of Sept. 27 and 28.