Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed July 18, 2012
Small Towns Win Big Honors in Travel Contest
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Two Kentucky communities are among the best small towns in America.
Bardstown is the most beautiful small town in America and Murray is the friendliest, at least according to a contest sponsored by Rand McNally and USA Today.
Now in its second year, the Best of the Road competition judged 30 cities from across the country.
Judges liked the “Norman Rockwell” feel of historic downtown Bardstown. (Danville, Ky. was a runner-up in most beautiful.) In Murray, the judges said they made new friends and were invited into people’s homes.
Three other winners were named as best small towns: Gainesville, Texas as most patriotic; Santa Fe, New Mexico as best for food; and Delray Beach, Florida as most fun.
A recap of the Best of the Road contest will air July 25 at 8 p.m. ET on the Travel Channel.