Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed April 30, 2014
Shelton Unveils $19.1 In School Budget Cuts
Under a plan released Tuesday by Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent Tom Shelton, the district would trim costs by $19.1 million.
The plan calls for $4.5 million in school staff cuts, including 60 full-time employees, and $4.4 million in work day cuts for counselors, social workers, bus drivers, and monitors. A further $3.5 million in district operations funding would be slashed.
School board members did not vote on the plan, but appeared receptive at a meeting Tuesday.
Overall, the cuts amount to roughly 5 percent of the district’s budget.