Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- NBC News' Chuck Todd: Kentucky Poised To Become "Center Of Political Universe"
Fri October 23, 2009
Senate Republicans Make Their Choice
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – During a private Senate Republican caucus, Manchester Sen. Robert Stivers was elected majority floor leader, replacing Sen. Dan Kelly. Kelly resigned the leadership post two weeks ago to pursue a vacant circuit judgeship. Stivers, who's been in the Senate since 1997, is looking forward to his new responsibilities. "Working closely with Sen. Williams. As the president he has the ultimate responsibility for the full body. I for the majority party. Sen. Worley for the Democrat (sic) Party. And we will all have to work together to move the flow of legislation and do it in an orderly fashion."
Stivers defeated Georgetown Sen. Damon Thayer for the position. Murray Sen. Ken Winters considered running, but did not offer his name for nomination. Stivers represents Clay, Knox, Lee, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley and Wolfe counties.