Most Active Stories
- Lexington's New Econ. Development Fund And Demise Of Desha's On BizLexChat
- Local Music Monday: Fifth On The Floor Frontman, Justin Wells
- Salvation Army Gets Extra Special Donation In Owensboro
- UK A Capella Group Set To Debut On "The Sing-Off"
- Walton Avenue Corridor, VisitLEX Part Of This Week's Bizlex Chat
Tue February 12, 2013
Senate OKs Bill Allowing Election Day Liquor Sales
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A Prohibition-era ban on the sale of alcohol at restaurants, bars and retail stores on Election Day would be lifted under legislation approved by the Senate on Tuesday.
The measure would allow alcohol sales during hours that polls are open. It passed 29-8.
The measure, sponsored by Republican Sen. John Schickel of Union, now goes to the House for consideration.
Kentucky and South Carolina are the only two states that have such bans in place. In the past five years, similar bans have been lifted in Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Utah and West Virginia.
Similar measures filed in Kentucky in past years have failed.