Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Tue February 12, 2013
Senate OKs Bill Allowing Election Day Liquor Sales
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A Prohibition-era ban on the sale of alcohol at restaurants, bars and retail stores on Election Day would be lifted under legislation approved by the Senate on Tuesday.
The measure would allow alcohol sales during hours that polls are open. It passed 29-8.
The measure, sponsored by Republican Sen. John Schickel of Union, now goes to the House for consideration.
Kentucky and South Carolina are the only two states that have such bans in place. In the past five years, similar bans have been lifted in Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Utah and West Virginia.
Similar measures filed in Kentucky in past years have failed.