Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Thu May 29, 2014
Santa Barbara Candlelight Vigil to be Held
Local feminist publication MISS'ING Magazine is holding a candlelight vigil to remember those lost in the recent Santa Barbara Shootings.
The event will focus in particular on the women killed and wounded on the UCSB campus. Organizer Tyler Simons says since shooter Elliot Rodger was motivated by women "rejecting" him, it is very much a feminist issue.
"Essentially, what we hope to do is create a space for processing the event for other survivors of both partner violence, sexual violence, male and female violence, in general, violence committed by people in authority against those who are not," he said.
While the subject of gun violence will be discussed, Simons reiterates that the vigil will emphasize healing.
“He left a very long and very storied digital trail of misogynistic rants as well as a racist rant. While that is true, we’d rather focus on the victims themselves to humanize them, to give them a space in the spotlight, which has not been afforded to them by a lot of the media.”
The vigil will take place in Lexington's Woodland Park Friday at 8:00 PM. Additional information is available on the event's Facebook page.