Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Rock & Roots
Fri February 7, 2014
Rock & Roots Featured Album of the Week (Feb 10-14): Various Artists, "Sweetheart 2014"
Listen to Rock & Roots Mon-Fri at 10:50, 12:50 & 2:50 for DEEP TRACKS from the new album "Sweetheart 2014"... PLUS a chance to win your own copy!
Compiled by Starbucks every few years, the Sweetheart compilations adhere to a simple concept in which well-liked contemporary artists cover well-liked classic love songs just in time for Valentine's Day. But, more importantly, the collections revolve around a refreshing and consistent mindset: There are no arch piss-takes, no goofs, no skirting sincerity with a wink and a sneer. Even when an effort feels like a minor pairing or a failed experiment, goodwill carries the day.
Some of the artists on Sweetheart 2014 — the fifth installment in a series dating back a decade — sync up naturally with the source material they've chosen. & The Dap-Kings and 's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" fit together seamlessly, for example, while serves up a brief but terrific take on the Carter Family classic "Happy or Lonesome." Other pairings are more surprising, in a your-methods-may-vary sort of way, as attempts a faithfully drowsy take on Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" and sings in Italian for "Time to Say Goodbye (Con Te Partirò)," a song popularized by Andrea Bocelli.
Nothing here quite matches the highs hit on 2004's Sweetheart: Love Songs — seriously, track down on The Marshall Tucker Band's "Ab's Song" if you've never heard it — though it's awfully nice to hear offer a light take on "I'm in the Middle of a Riddle," performed with her sister Maude Maggart. The words "Starbucks" and "Valentine's Day" may or may not sound like two strikes against Sweetheart 2014 (again, your methods may vary), but the music itself transcends both institutions nicely.
BY: Steven Thompson/NPR
1. "Turn Your Lights Down Low" by Jim James (Bob Marley cover)
2. "Time To Say Goodbye (Con Te Partiró)" by Vampire Weekend (inspired by the Andrea Bocelli recording)
3. "Love" by Beck (John Lennon cover)
4. "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" by Phosphorescent (Bob Dylan cover)
5. "Don't Forget Me" by The Head and the Heart (Harry Nilsson cover)
6. "Happy or Lonesome" by Valerie June (The Carter Family cover)
7. "Always on My Mind" by Bahamas (Willie Nelson cover)
8. "If You Were Mine" by Thao (Ray Charles cover)
9. "Fade Into You" by Ben Harper (Mazzy Star cover)
10. "I'm in the Middle of a Riddle" by Fiona Apple feat. Maude Maggart (Anton Karas cover)
11. "The Chain" by Brandi Carlile (Fleetwood Mac cover)
12. "I Hope" by Blake Mills (Bobby Charles cover)
13. "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (Stevie Wonder cover)