Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon November 14, 2011
Reports: Sarkozy Makes Amends With Netanyahu After 'Hot Mic' Comments
Originally published on Mon November 21, 2011 7:15 pm
If you remember, Sarkozy caused a bit of uproar, last week, after an open microphone caught him telling President Obama he thought Netanyahu was "a liar."
Reuters reports that Sarkozy pledged his country's friendship in a condolence letter. Reuters adds:
Sarkozy's comments, in a condolence message to Netanyahu for the death of his father-in-law, seemed an effort to try to clear the air a week after a reported gaffe this month at the G20 summit in Cannes, when he was overheard telling U.S. President Barack Obama he thought Netanyahu was "a liar".
In addition to words of sympathy, Sarkozy's letter to Netanyahu, according to two officials in the Israeli leader's office, said:
"You have my friendship, and our differing views on the problems of the Middle East, and the interpretations appearing in the media, have no effect on it."
Over the weekend the Jerusalem Post reported that Sarkozy would visit Israel to "mend ties" with Netanyahu.