Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
Wed August 12, 2009
Ramsey Mum On Pitino Scandal
By Rick Howlett
Louisville, KY – The Courier-Journal published details of a July police interview with Pitino in which he
acknowledged having a sexual encounter six years ago with Karen Cunagin, now Karen
Sypher, at a Louisville restaurant. Pitino also denied her allegation of rape; prosecutors
last month declined to bring charges against him.
According to the report, Pitino also gave the woman three thousand dollars after she told
him she was going to obtain an abortion and didn't have insurance. His attorney says
the coach believed the money was for medical insurance.
U of L President James Ramsey declined to comment today (Wed) beyond a statement
released the previous night.
(i have not had the opportunity to talk with anyone else. the athletic director was out this
morning. i'll try to arrange to meet with him and talk with him and others).
Ramsey said in his statement that he was "surprised" by details surrounding Pitino's
acknowldgement of the encounter but that his thoughts were with the coach's family.