Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
Mon October 14, 2013
Protesters Demand Rep. Barr Act To End Shutdown
Frustration over the government shutdown is becoming more visible in Lexington as groups mobilize to protest the lack of progress in Washington.
Monday, Karissa Gerhke with the Progressive Change Campaign Committee led about 50 protesters who gathered in front of U.S. Representative Andy Barr’s office to demand action.
"We've been working with our partners to do these all across the country in Republican House districts like Andy Barr's where they are not listening to their constituents and instead they're just playing politics in D.C.," Gerhke says.
Barr has repeated his charge on the House floor that blame for the shutdown should be directed toward Democrats.
"The House has acted multiple times to prevent a government shutdown. It is the president and the Senate Majority Leader who are refusing to negotiate, refusing the compromise," Barr said.
But in a sign that no one expects a resolution anytime soon, Gerhke says her group plans to be back at Barr’s doorstep Tuesday.