Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Thu October 29, 2009
Plans Unveiled For New Eastern State Hosp.
By Alan Lytle
Lexington, KY – When complete in 2012, the psychiatric hospital will have 230 in-patient beds along with three personal care transition homes and specialized treatment for persons with brain injuries. Mayor Newberry and the governor say it's a significant and long overdue step in addressing the mental health needs of the community.
The project is a culmination of a unique land swap brokered by Kentucky Representative Jimmie Lee between UK, Bluegrass Community & Technical College, the city of Lexington, and the state. The university put up the land for the hospital, BCTCS will move to the old Eastern State property, and the University of Kentucky will then annex the current BCTCS campus off Cooper Drive.
The current Eastern State Hospital serves an average of
two-thousand patients per year from 80 Kentucky counties. Groundbreaking for the new 300-thousand square foot, LEED certified facility is expected in July of next year.