Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu April 8, 2010
Organizers Hail Legacy Trail As Creative Idea
By Alan Lytle
Lexington, KY – During the Creative Cities Summit this week, Lexington city, state, and federal officials took the opportunity to announce the construction of Phase 1 of a twelve and a half mile Legacy Trail between downtown and the Kentucky Horse Park. First Lady Jane Beshear says the project represents what can happen when many different entities take an idea and run with it.
Phase one of the trail, from the Kentucky Horse Park to Citation Boulevard, should be completed in time for the World Equestrian Games this fall. Phase two, spanning Lexmark and the Northside YMCA will be ready a short time later. The last leg, which is still in the planning stage, will take hikers and bikers downtown to the Isaac Murphy Memorial Art Garden. The project is being financed through a mix of local, state, and federal funds; the first two phases of which come in at a price tag of 7.8 million dollars.