Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon September 30, 2013
Officials Celebrate Two New Miles Of Brighton Trail
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Lexington Mayor Jim Gray officially welcomed residents to the second leg of the Brighton East Rail Trail Monday.
The two-mile stretch of shaded trail runs from Pleasant Hill Drive to Walnut Grove.
One of the bikers taking advantage of the mild weather Monday was Harsha Wijesiri . He says the new trail addition is the city’s most attractive yet.
"I've got two kids and we started hitting the trails last year. Kids love it and this is one of the best trails I have seen. Since it has a lot of tree canopy, it's great for the kids [and] provides a lot of shade. It's cool, beautiful," he says.
The shared use trail is 12 feet wide and is part of a larger expansion project that will eventually connect to the Liberty Park Trail.
The first phase was completed in 2007.