Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Sun April 22, 2012
Number Two UK Captures Series Win Over Top Ranked LSU
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Freshman Austin Cousino collected a team-best three hits and Zac Zellers launched his fifth homer of the year to lead Number two Kentucky to a series-clinching 7-6 win in the rubber match with Top-Ranked LSU, in front of 3,086 fans on an overcast Sunday afternoon at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
Kentucky (35-6, 13-5 Southeastern Conference) won its sixth consecutive conference weekend to open the league slate. The Wildcats lead the SEC through six weekends, own the nation’s best record and have opened up the 2012 season off with the best start in the over 100-year history of the program.
After LSU won the opening game 5-4, the Wildcats responded with a resounding 8-1 win to even the series on Saturday; setting up Sunday's pivotal rubber match.
LSU opened the scoring with a run in the second, UK took the lead with a three-run inning in the third. LSU evened the game with two runs in the fourth before UK regained the lead with a run in the bottom of the frame. LSU took a lead with two runs in the sixth to chase starter Corey Littrell, before UK pounded out four doubles in a three-run sixth inning for the game-winning rally, holding on for a 7-6 win.