Most Active Stories
- To everyone that came to WUKY's Phoenix Fridays... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
- Free Speech Exercised, Tested At UK's Constitution Day
- New Deal For Centrepointe Garage And Town Branch Trail Extension In BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Candidate To "Endorse" Biggest Fundraiser
- Pics Related To UK Shooting Case Released
Wed August 21, 2013
New Senior Citizens Center To Be Built In Idle Hour Park
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- After debating nearly 20 sites around the city, the Urban County Council has decided that Lexington's new Senior Citizens Center will be built in Idle Hour Park, current home to a youth football league and adjacent to Southland Christian Church.
During the work session on Tuesday council members discussed three other locations, Liberty Park, Turfland Mall, and a site near the YMCA on West Loudon Avenue before ultimately giving approval to the Idle Hour plan.
According to the Lexington Herald Leader council members liked the relatively easy access into and out of the future facility via New Circle and Richmond Roads, and the fact that the city already owns the property was chalked up as a bonus.
Some details will have to be worked out, namely re-locating the aforementioned youth football program that currently calls Idle Hour park its home field.
The city has already allocated some $15M for the project.
Construction of the center, which will replace the current facility off Nicholasville Road, is expected to take about 18 months.