Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 13, 2012
Murder, Hate Crime Charges Filed Against Tulsa Suspects
The two suspects in last Friday's killings in Tulsa of three African-Americans and wounding of two others were formally charged today with "three counts each of first-degree murder, two counts of shooting with intent to kill and five counts of malicious intimidation or harassment," the Tulsa World reports.
Jake England, 19, and 33-year-old Alvin Watts were arrested over the weekend. The attacks terrorized African-Americans in the Tulsa area.
According to the World, Oklahoma law defines hate crimes as "malicious harassment," which "occurs when a person acts 'maliciously and with the specific intent to intimidate or harass another person because of that person's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin or disability.' "