Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed September 19, 2012
Mountain Bike Trail Opens in Lexington
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Mountain bike enthusiasts now have a place to ride in Lexington. Officials and members of the Kentucky Mountain Bike Association cut the ribbon Wednesday at a four mile trail in Veterans Park.
Its design is suitable for beginners and intermediate riders.
“The features that were built into it by the professional trail builders are five-foot bermed turns, jumps, rollers. It is like being on a four mile roller coaster. And it’s a lot of fun,” says KyMBA President Troy Hearn, who is also the Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
An original estimate for the project totaled $150,000, but volunteers and local company Pedal the Planet were able to bring the cost of the trail down to $30,000.
“Not really having those stereotypical [government] constraints allowed a lot of free labor to come in and probably do the majority of the work on the project,” says Hearn.