Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon March 23, 2009
More Layoffs At Lexington Herald Leader
By Alan Lytle
Lexington, KY – In a written statement, paper publisher Tim Kelly calls the job cuts regrettable, but says they're just a part of company-wide reductions ordered by the Herald Leader's corporate owner, McClatchey Newspapers. Scott Sloan, the area chief steward of the Lexington Newspaper Guild, which represents some 75 Herald Leader employees, says emerging technology, especially free online content is largely to blame for print's apparent demise.
Sloan says last week guild members voted to accept a 5 percent salary reduction and if necessary, a one-week unpaid furlough. Herald Leader publisher Tim Kelly says he, and his executive staff will see 10 percent salary reductions.