Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri November 22, 2013
More Than 1,000 Sign Up For Appalachian Conference
More than 1,000 people have signed up for an initiative intended to find ways to bolster the economy in Appalachia.
Gov. Steve Beshear and U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers are pulling together the effort, which they dubbed SOAR, Shaping Our Appalachian Region.
Beshear said the economic woes of recent years have hurt Appalachia and intensified the hardships of families in the mountain region. He and Rogers have scheduled a summit that will involve public and private sector leaders from across Kentucky's mountain region.
Beshear and Rogers cited the loss of thousands of coal jobs in eastern Kentucky as one of the reasons for calling the summit, which will be held on Dec. 9 at the Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center in Pikeville.