Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu August 8, 2013
McConnell Campaign Manager Taking Heat Over Recorded Phone Comments
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Sen. Mitch McConnell’s campaign manager, Jesse Benton, is under fire for comments made in a phone call posted by the libertarian-leaning Economic Policy Journal blog. The former Ron Paul campaign manager is heard saying he is “holding his nose for two years” while heading up the McConnell reelection effort.
During the phone call with Dennis Faruso of the Reformed Theological Seminary, Benton says his work with the McConnell campaign will be “a big benefit to Rand in 2016” – apparently referring to a potential president run by Sen. Rand Paul.
Benton, who is married to a granddaughter of former Ron Paul, also served as chairman of the former Texas Representative’s 2012 presidential campaign.
Fusaro has leaked material to news organizations this week implicating Ron Paul’s campaign in an alleged attempt to pay Iowa State Sen. Kent Sorenson to endorse Paul in the 2012 race.
In a statement released Thursday, Benton said that “It is truly sick that someone would record a private phone conversation I had out of kindness and use it to try to hurt me” and reiterated his unqualified support for Sen. McConnell.