Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue March 26, 2013
Mathies And Kentucky Beat Dayton, Advance To Sweet 16
NEW YORK -- A'dia Mathies rebounded from the worst game of her career to match her career high with 34 points and lead second-seeded Kentucky to an 84-70 win over seventh-seeded Dayton on Tuesday night in the second round of the NCAA women's tournament.
The Wildcats (29-5) will face Delaware in the semifinals of the Bridgeport Regional on Saturday.
Clinging to a 46-44 advantage early in the second half, Mathies scored 10 points during a 16-3 run to take control of the game.
The two-time SEC player of the year hit two 3-pointers, including one to cap the burst and make it 62-47. She didn't hit a field goal in the first round win over Navy. She made 13 of 17 against Dayton.
Andrea Hoover scored 22 points to lead the Flyers (28-3), got no closer than eight the rest of the way.