Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri September 27, 2013
Major Renovations Usher In New Era For Lexington's Hope Center
LEXINGTON, Ky. - For the first time in its 20-year history, Lexington’s Hope Center is undergoing major renovations.
To get a sense of the enthusiasm Hope Center staff have for the changes coming to their facility, one need only listen to Shawn Luchtefeld, the center’s social services coordinator, give visitors the grand tour.
"So now we have rooms with doors on them, sinks...we're going to have a dentist in here to do evaluations."
The Emergency Shelter is also converting its former cafeteria into more bunk rooms, adding 58 beds, renovating its bathroom and shower facilities, and upgrading its dorm rooms for veterans. That’s not to mention another new addition parked out front.
"I also want to say something about the vehicle behind me," said executive director Cecil Dunn at Thursday's open house event. "The old HopeMobile needed to be retired. It's seen better days."
Dunn says the new HopeMobile, a revamped motor home, will provide basic medical services, referrals, and brown bag lunches for Lexington’s homeless population.
The Hope Center serves more than 700 people a day.