Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu October 28, 2010
Lyric Theater Officially Dedicated
By Alan Lytle
Lexington, KY – Lexington Mayor Jim Newberry, and a host of civic and community leaders cut the ribbon Thursday on the renovated Lyric Theater at the corner of Elm Tree Lane and East Third Street. The Lyric was a major focal point of African-American culture in the 1940's and 50's. Among those speaking at the dedication ceremony were Lyric Theater Board Member Juanita Betz Peterson, and Architect for the project, Susan Hill.
"Join with us. This is your theater. This is your cultural arts center. It's for everyone. Bring your children. This is a good legacy to leave to your children, and future generations to come."
"When similar facilities on Main Street were closed to some citizens of Lexington, the Lyric opened its arms to any and all who crossed its threshold. The Lyric represents the best of community; the magic of people celebrating life together."
The 5.5 million dollar makeover includes a new performance stage, museum and exhibit space for local and national artists. The public will have the chance to tour the new facility on Saturday beginning at 10 a.m.