Most Active Stories
Wed December 5, 2012
Lit Cigarette To Blame For Fatal House Fire
LEXINGTON, Ky. - An improperly disposed of cigarette is to blame for a house fire in South Lexington that claimed the lives of three people early Wednesday. Battalion Chief Ed Davis says investigators from the fire department’s arson division, Lexington Police, and the State Fire Marshal’s office made that determination after combing the charred remains of the single story ranch-style home on Buckingham Lane.
“The arson investigation is a pretty intensive thing and they don’t release findings until they feel certain of what they have. We had a similar fire to this about a year and a half ago that also resulted in a fatality and the circumstances were almost identical", Davis said.
The victims, an elderly, disabled couple and their paraplegic son tried unsuccessfully to escape the flames but mobility issues may have prevented them from doing so. Davis added that there were no working smoke detectors in the home .
“If anybody is in a situation where they don’t have a smoke detector, or they can’t afford one or they can’t put it up themselves because they have a limitation, all they have to do is call 3-1-1 and ask for the fire department and we’ll come out and install a smoke detector for them.”
The victims have been identified as Lenville and Norma Lindon, and their adult son Kenneth Lindon.