Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu April 10, 2014
Lifelong Learning Celebrates 50 Years at UK
The University of Kentucky’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute will celebrate its 50th anniversary Saturday.
Founded in 1964, it provides tuition waivers and a variety of college courses for people 50 years and older. Executive Director Michael Smith says at that age, there is still very much a desire to learn.
“Lifelong learning is really borne out of the idea that learning never stops in our lives. It should be continuous. It’s not something that is resurrected when we become old. In fact, the people that become our members have been curious their whole lives," he said.
The celebration will feature a showcase of art, music, and theater pieces by OLLI students as well as a comprehensive photo exhibit of the program’s history. The event takes place Saturday at Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School, which is located on 1600 Man O' War Boulevard. It runs from 1-3:30 and Admission is free.