Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 12, 2013
Liberal Group Blasts McConnell For Pro-Gun Stance
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A liberal political group is using an al-Qaeda recruitment video in a TV ad attacking Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell on his pro-gun stance.
Americans United for Change is spending only $5,000 to run the spot on three Lexington TV stations. But it drew a stern rebuke from McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton.
The 30-second ad shows American-born al-Qaeda operative Adam Gadahn explaining that anyone can go to a gun show and get a fully automatic assault rifle without a background check and without showing identification.
Americans United for Change is pushing for more stringent background checks. The group's executive director, Tom McMahon, called McConnell a yes man for gun manufacturers.
Benton said describing the attack ad as desperate and extreme would be an understatement. He said it is deplorable.