Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed February 18, 2009
Lexington Releases New 10 Year Master Plan For Parks
By Student Reporter Corps
Lexington, KY – Fayette Parks 2
2/18/09 Morgan Witt/Bednarski
10 miles of equestrian and walking trails, an archery range, a camping area, and a pavilion for special events; are among the amenities recommended for Lexington-owned Hisle Farm. The improvements to the 280 acre tract of undeveloped land off Briar Hill Road, are included in the city's newly released Parks Master Plan. Parks and recreation director, Jerry Hancock, says the plan represents many hours of public input, but he stresses not everything is do-able right now.
"We have heard folks tell us that they want us to renovate our
restrooms and our facilities in our older parks. They want us to put
hiking and walking and biking trails in the ground, the message has been received loud and clear. We are doing everything we can.
Unfortunately, it is a bad economic situation, but our list is pretty short and pretty focused to put those things in the ground for folks as soon as funds become available."
Hancock says the parks department hopes to accomplish much of The Master Plan within 10 years. It's now being considered by the Urban County Council.