Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue October 30, 2012
Lexington Recreational Trail To Feature New Extension
LEXINGTON, Ky. - City and state leaders officially gave the green light to the extension of Lexington’s Brighton Trail Monday.
“If you build it they will come.”
Kentucky First Lady Jane Beshear said the famous Field of Dreams quote could also describe her view of recreational trail projects in the state. She was joined by Mayor Jim Gray and other lawmakers at a press conference Monday to announce a grant that will fund the construction of 2,600 new feet of asphalt trail that Councilman Jay McChord says will serve a number of purposes.
"It ties together a number of city parks and one of the strategies is you tie your public lands together so people can enjoy more than just one park at a time, and secondly, it ties Hamburg to the neighborhoods. We're moving closer to that," he says.
Once completed the project will result in 3.8 miles of continuous trail for walkers and cyclists. McChord says trails allow visitors to access scenery that isn’t visible from cars while encouraging exercise.