Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu May 24, 2012
Lexington Pays $60,000 To Settle Inmate Death Lawsuit
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Lexington Mayor Jim Gray's office has released a document showing the Lexington-Fayette Urban County government paid $60,000 to settle a lawsuit filed over the death of a jail inmate in July 2010.
The federal lawsuit was filed by Douglas Ferguson and Lisa Ferguson Day, the siblings of the inmate, 54-year-old Dean Ferguson, and co-administrators of his estate. Ferguson collapsed at the jail while serving weekends for drunken driving and was pronounced dead of a pulmonary embolism at University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital the next day.
The Lexington Herald-Leader says Senior U.S. District Judge Joseph M. Hood ordered all parties in the lawsuit to pay their own costs and attorney fees. The lawsuit was settled through mediation this month.