Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri November 22, 2013
Lexington Officials Approve Domestic Partner Benefits
Officials in Lexington have voted to extend domestic partner benefits to city employees.
The decision makes the city at least the fourth to offer such benefits. Officials in Berea, Louisville and Covington have passed similar measures.
The Lexington Herald-Leader reports the Urban County Council's vote on Thursday night was unanimous and came without discussion. Official had discussed the policy several times in previous meetings.
The vote came almost 10 years after a similar provision allowing same-sex benefits was repealed by the council.
The ordinance says requires that domestic partners have live with an employee for more than a year, be older than 18 and share bills.
The measure will take effect sometime after the first of January.