Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- NBC News' Chuck Todd: Kentucky Poised To Become "Center Of Political Universe"
Fri May 31, 2013
Lexington To Host "Design Slam" Saturday
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Five teams of architects will compete in a brainstorming competition Saturday to imagine a design for a building to fill the lot at 137 West Main Street in downtown Lexington.
You’ve heard of a poetry slam, but how about a design slam? That’s what organizers are dubbing the competition set for tomorrow in downtown Lexington.
The American Institute of Architects East Kentucky Chapter and the Fayette Alliance will host the event, which will see five firms face off with only an hour to design a structure to plug the so-called “missing tooth” on West Main Street.
"The laptops that teams will be using will be on the screen for the public to see, so they'll see the design process happen and usually, as an architect, that just happens in our offices," says Dan Ware, AIA EKC president.
A five dollar donation is suggested to attend the slam, and audience members will be allowed to choose a winner by casting a one-dollar voter ticket. Part of the proceeds will benefit Habitat for Humanity.
While the designs won’t move on to the construction phase, Ware says he hopes the event will spur conversation about downtown development.