Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
Mon April 30, 2012
Lexington Fire Department Under Federal Investigation
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Lexington’s fire department is under federal investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice for its hiring practices.
City spokesperson Susan Straub said in a written statement that the city was made aware of the investigation in early April and that there are no findings at this time. Per department policy, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Kentucky could not confirm or deny the investigation.
According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, the most recent class of firefighters in February 2011 consisted of 25 white males despite a campaign to attract minorities. At the time, of the division’s 525 sworn firefighters, 31 were black and 12 were white women.