Most Active Stories
- Free Speech Exercised, Tested At UK's Constitution Day
- Shelton Promises Action On District Dysfunction
- Gigabit Possibilities For Lexington, Centrepointe, And KY-Swedish Connection On BizLexChat
- We’re gonna keep Summer going a bit longer with another WUKY Phoenix Friday Sept 26... 3 bands!!
- Local Music Monday: Dave Cobb
Mon September 16, 2013
Lexington Features Bourbon Barrel Art
LEXINGTON, Ky--The latest art exhibit has hit the streets of downtown Lexington. ‘The Bourbon Barrel Project on Town Branch’ is similar to Horse Mania, which featured painted and soldered sculptures of life size horses that were displayed around the city in 2000 and again in 2010. This newest public art project showcases 41-bourbon barrels that have been turned into art pieces inspired by the regions distilleries and the beauty of the bluegrass.
Jim Clark, President and CEO of LexArts spoke to the Lexington Herald Leader after the weekend preview and said “Based on the preview, I think people will be pretty amazed by the artistry.” He went on to say “This is different from Horse Mania…the themes are more unified. It’s the landscape and the history of bourbon and how our landscape is the reason why we have the bourbon industry here."
The 41 barrels follow the Town Branch stream path along Vine Street and are on display through November 10th. They will be auctioned off later that month to raise funds for programs supported by LexArts.