Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
Mon October 1, 2012
Lexington Distillery Now Open To The Public
LEXINGTON, Ky. - It’s an event that hasn’t happened in Lexington in more than a century: the opening of a new distillery. Alltech’s Town Branch Distillery officially opens its doors to the public today.
City officials hope the new $9.2 million dollar distillery, located next to the Alltech’s brewery at the corner of Maxwell and Cross downtown, will generate more tourism and help rekindle interest in Town Branch, an underground creek that was once lined with distillers before Prohibition.
"The revival of bourbon in the last 15 years has been little short of phenomenal," says Dr. Pearse Lyons, who heads up Alltech.
He says the new distillery is just another example of Lexington getting back to its roots while also looking forward. He says visitors will see, smell, and taste something new when they take the tour.
"They will go in and they will see two beautiful pot stills, pot stills where we actually distill and make the whiskey. They will wooden fermenters, cyprus fermenters," Lyons says.
The distillery is already included on Kentucky’s Bourbon Trail. Tours will be available seven days a week.