Lexington Child's Death Prompts Bean Bag Chair Recall

Aug 22, 2014

The suffocation deaths of children, including a three year old here in Lexington have prompted a product recall of bean bag chairs.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says the zippers on the chairs, which are made by Ace Bayou Corp., can open.

In 2012, three-year-old Kylee Mills Simmerman of Lexington was found by a firefighter unresponsive inside her bean bag chair.

The coroner says she died of suffocation.

In recent years, a 13-year-old boy from McKinney, Texas was also found dead inside a chair after suffocating from the lack of air and inhaling the chair's foam beads.

The chairs were sold at Bon-Ton, Meijer, Pamida, School Specialty, Wayfair and Walmart stores and online at Amazon.com, Meijer.com and Walmart.com. They cost between $30 and $100 and were sold before July 2013.

The recall affects more than two million chairs.

Ace Bayou is offering customers a free repair kit on its website that will stop the zippers from opening