Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon December 17, 2012
Legislation Would Ban Guns in State Capitol
FRANKFORT, Ky. - State Rep. Mary Lou Marzian plans to re-introduce legislation next year to ban guns in the state capitol. The Louisville Democrat says Kentucky is one of the few states in the nation that permit people to carry firearms into the House and Senate galleries.
“When you see that there’s a gallery up there and we’re down on the house floor arguing very tense very sometimes controversial issues, if you have someone unbalanced up there with a gun, we’re sitting ducks. Not to mention that we have all kinds of school children in the gallery. We have kids on the house floor sometimes being pages.”
Marzian says if guns are continued to be permitted in the Capitol, officials should ask parents of children visiting Frankfort to sign a form acknowledging that their kids may be exposed to weapons in the General Assembly.