Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon March 16, 2009
Lawmakers Off This Week
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The 2009 legislative session is in a two-week recess, to give Governor Beshear time to decide if he wants to veto any bills. Lawmakers return March 26th for possible veto overrides, and the session ends on the 27th. But if the economy doesn't pick up, legislators could be back in Frankfort by June for a special session on the budget. Senate President David Williams says it's possible. "In these times, one never knows when you might have to come back for adjustments because I think the legislature is ready to continue to be engaged and continue to address the problems that face the people of the commonwealth."
House Speaker Greg Stumbo is already predicting a special session may be necessary. And if there is one, Stumbo's hoping lawmakers will take up his video slots bill, which he says could raise hundreds of millions of new dollars for the commonwealth. Only Governor Beshear can call a special session.