Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue December 15, 2009
Lawmakers Discuss The Budget
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – With the state facing a 161-million dollar shortfall in the current fiscal year, and a one-point-two-billion dollar deficit next biennium, lawmakers need to be prepared for tough decisions ahead, says House Speaker Greg Stumbo. That's why Stumbo called lawmakers to Frankfort for an open briefing on the budget. "We come here not as Democrats, or Republicans or independents. We come here as Kentuckians, charged with the responsibility of setting this ship of state on a course that will get us through this storm."
On Monday, the Consensus Forecasting Group meets in Frankfort to make new revenue projections for the current fiscal year and the next biennium. Lawmakers will use those figures to balance the current budget and craft a new one. The 2010 session begins January 5th.