Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri July 20, 2012
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Fri July 20, 2012 2:42 pm
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
And today's last word in business is: Sylvia - Sylvia Woods, the name behind soul food haven Sylvia's.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
It's a restaurant, and for many, it's much more. The Harlem institution has been around for half a century, but it will never be the same because yesterday, Sylvia Woods died at the age of 86, on the same day New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was due to celebrate her legacy.
Sylvia's opened on August 1st, 1962. It became a gathering place for the neighborhood, and celebrities and politicians flocked there to eat her homemade collard greens, grits and ribs.
INSKEEP: Woods was an entrepreneur beyond the restaurant, too, with a line of commercial products and a catering business. The mayor, in a statement, said: We lost a legend.
MONTAGNE: And that's the business news for MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.