Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri October 18, 2013
Last Weekend For Les Miserables
The University of Kentucky Opera Department’s rendition of Les Mis, performed entirely by students, comes to a close this weekend.
It’s the largest scale production ever brought into the Lexington Opera House by the University. On the heels of last year’s success of Phantom of The Opera by the Department and the buzz created by the most recent Oscar awards, the head of UK’s Opera Program, Dr. Everett McCorvey knew Les Miserables was the perfect fit for UK music students. He says to call the production a huge undertaking is an understatement. There are two casts, two orchestras and a crew of more than 100.
Les Mis is also the costliest venture by the UK Opera Department. Rights alone were $100,000. Dr. McCorvey says the entire budget rings in at half a million dollars. For more information on show times and tickets log on to http://www.lexingtonoperahouse.com