Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon May 24, 2010
Lafayette Senior Wins Congressional Art Competition
By Brenna Angel
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- – A Fayette County high school senior is getting national recognition for her artwork. 19-year-old Alexandra Dantchenko of Lafayette High School is this year's winner of the Congressional Art Competition from Kentucky's 6th District.
"Metamorphosis" is a digitally rendered image of a self portrait combined with a cello.
"My inspiration is artist Man Ray. He would take black and white photos of women and then he would draw on the instrument's markings. So I just took it one step further and actually morphed the instrument with the human body because I thought they worked so great together."
Congressman Ben Chandler was on hand Monday to give Dantchenko a medal and to honor other students who entered the contest.
As the overall winner from Kentucky's 6th congressional district, Dantchenko's work will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol with other district winners for one year.