Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- NBC News' Chuck Todd: Kentucky Poised To Become "Center Of Political Universe"
Mon May 24, 2010
Lafayette Senior Wins Congressional Art Competition
By Brenna Angel
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- – A Fayette County high school senior is getting national recognition for her artwork. 19-year-old Alexandra Dantchenko of Lafayette High School is this year's winner of the Congressional Art Competition from Kentucky's 6th District.
"Metamorphosis" is a digitally rendered image of a self portrait combined with a cello.
"My inspiration is artist Man Ray. He would take black and white photos of women and then he would draw on the instrument's markings. So I just took it one step further and actually morphed the instrument with the human body because I thought they worked so great together."
Congressman Ben Chandler was on hand Monday to give Dantchenko a medal and to honor other students who entered the contest.
As the overall winner from Kentucky's 6th congressional district, Dantchenko's work will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol with other district winners for one year.