Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri January 10, 2014
Ky. Senate Leader Critical Of Medical Marijuana
The Kentucky Senate's top leader is voicing concerns about legislation to legalize marijuana for medical purposes.
The criticism from Senate President Robert Stivers increases the odds against the issue that got a full hearing from a House committee.
Stivers said Friday that creating a system to dispense marijuana for medical purposes could be riddled with abuse.
House Speaker Greg Stumbo says he's open to discussing the issue. Stumbo says he's heard from constituents with medical reasons for pushing for medical marijuana.
The House Health and Welfare Committee held a lengthy hearing on the issue Thursday.
Sen. Perry Clark of Louisville has introduced a medical marijuana bill.
About 20 states have medical marijuana laws. Advocates argue that marijuana mitigates pain, nausea and anxiety for people afflicted with cancer and other ailments.