Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Mon November 9, 2009
KY To Mark Homeless Awareness Week
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – This year's homeless count, which was interrupted by January's ice storm, still located nearly six thousand homeless persons in Kentucky. Another 68-hundred individuals are precariously housed - facing eviction, living in substandard housing conditions, or staying with family and friends. The numbers concern First Lady Jane Beshear. "And on a day like today, when we can gather to shine a bit of light on a tremendous problem of hunger and homeless, then this is a job and a day that is very important."
Mrs. Beshear backed up her words by helping prepare and serve lunch at a homeless shelter in Frankfort. Gov. Beshear is declaring November 15-21 Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week in Kentucky.