Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue March 30, 2010
Ky. Lawmakers Pass Suicide Prevention Bill
By Stu Johnson
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- – The Kentucky general assembly has given final approval to suicide prevention legislation. The measure requires suicide prevention training for school principals, counselors, and teachers.
But Louisville Senator Dan Seum says he's disappointed the final bill doesn't require training for elementary level staff.
"The original House bill had some items for the grade school kids so this is big plus, obviously in my opinion it could have been a little bit better but it's still a big plus."
Under the legislation, the affected school professionals would have to undergo two hours of suicide prevention training each year.