Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu August 16, 2012
Ky. Jobless Rate Rises To 8.3% In July
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Kentucky's jobless rate has risen slightly to 8.3 percent in the most recent report from the Office of Employment and Training.
Government economist Manoj Shanker said the uptick in unemployment isn't enough to conclude that the state's economy has weakened.
The increase in jobless came despite a strong showing in some job sectors.
Manufacturing added 1,800 jobs in July while the information sector added 900 and the leisure and hospitality sector added 700.
The financial activities sector added 200 jobs.
Kentucky's trade, transportation and utilities sector lost 1,100 jobs in July. Construction jobs fell by 600.
Employment in the government sector dropped by 500 jobs. And mining lost 100 jobs.